Direct mail is far more persuasive than digital media
The neuroscience behind the response-driving power of direct mail.
- Visual attention to direct mail is more focused than to digital media, due to lack of distractions.
- Direct mail is easier to understand due to 21% less cognitive workload, and results in higher brand recall.
- Direct mail is far more persuasive than digital media alone, with 20% more motivation response.
About Canada Post
Headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Post Corporation, is a Crown corporation which functions as the primary postal operator. Known more simply as Canada Post, the organization’s vision is to be a world leader in providing innovative physical and electronic delivery solutions, creating value for customers, employees and all Canadians. The government organization has 64,000 employees and revenues of $8.2 billion USD (2017).
All over the world, brands are rethinking the role of physical space and media in their customer experience. Shoppers move fluidly across online and offline channels in their purchase journey, resetting the traditional marketing mix.
Canada Post set out to understand whether the tactile nature of direct mail influences the way people interact with it, what is its role in the purchase journey and how does it influence customer behavior.
Solution and Results
In contrast to traditional research methods, consumer neuroscience research was selected as the methodology of choice to uncover implicit and non-verbal consumer attitudes. The True Impact research team designed a scientifically approved methodology, acquired data using EEG and eye tracking from 270 participants and found that:
- Direct Mail is easier to understand and more memorable than digital media. It requires 21% less cognitive effort to process and elicits a much higher brand recall.
- Direct mail is far more persuasive than digital media. Its motivation response is 20% higher – even more so if it appeals to more senses beyond touch.
- Direct mail is visually processed quicker than digital media. When considered in concert with its higher motivation and lower cognitive load, this suggests it gets the message across faster.
- Direct mail is more likely to drive behaviour than digital media. Surpassing the important motivation-to-cognitive load ratio threshold of 1.
[email-download download_id=”5694″ contact_form_id=”5572″]
More success stories are in the works. Stay tuned!